Monday, September 8, 2014

Day 3 - Michigan's Revenge

So I think the gods of Michigan were not so happy with my lukewarm praise of Michigan bike trails in yesterday's blog post. So what did they do? They gave me 30 miles this morning of gorgeous isolated roads with low traffic and pretty darn good scenery. "Take that, Schwed!" I could hear them muttering....

And then they took me to the shore of Lake Michigan for lunch where  among 110 climate riders, I was the only one who decided to go swimming (son of Pete Schwed, for sure). Which, of course, had me bringing up the rear of the pack so I cut off the 15 mile loop at the end of the ride that took folks down to the town of Three Oaks and, instead, cut straight across the top of the loop towards our campsite where, conveniently, I came across Greenbush Brewery on the way. Need I say more? The faster riders were already there even having done the loop, but within the next 2 hours we had more than 60 bikes there, quaffing a wide variety of microbrews. (By the way, this was not on the official climate ride route, but certainly will/should be next year! )

Even with the shortcut it was a 65 mile day, so I don't feel that was too shabby. Especially with a 90 mile ride into Chicago looming for tomorrow (strike ominous chord here).

As usual, here is today's route and a few select photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment