Friday, May 2, 2014

A Short Spin across the Top of Manhattan

Well, the forecasters were pretty accurate for once, and the past three days really weren't very conducive to riding, so I'm glad I pushed myself to ride this past Monday. Which is kind of the story for today (Friday). I sort of needed a push to get going today -- which, I'm worried, is becoming a recurring theme in my training efforts.

The sad truth is that it's much more fun actually to do a ride like Climate Ride than to do the training for it. The conundrum, however, is that without at least a modicum of training, Climate Ride becomes more difficult to do and, hence, less fun. Go figure.

The push to ride today came in the form of Laura's cousin once-removed (her father's brother's daughter's son, if you must know), Greg, who lives in our building with his wife Heather and two young boys. Greg is an excellent athlete and he emailed me this morning saying he wanted to get out on his bike for his first ride of the season. How could I say no?

However, as a concession to it being his first ride and my feeling less than energetic, we kept the ride short and simply looped over the top of Manhattan, across Dyckman street, taking the West Side Greenway North, and the East Side Greenway (yes, there actually is one up there) South. But to our surprise, when we got back down to our neighborhood, we were still raring to go, so we threw in a Central Park loop for good measure.

The total was 20 miles on the day (see below), which really isn't going to do the job, training-wise. But it was fun keeping it short and sweet, so some times you just have to balance competing interests!

No comments:

Post a Comment