Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lovely Day 1

Notwithstanding my significant reservoir of biking experience, I actually was a tad nervous before today's ride. I did not do a lot of training beforehand and, when I did manage to do longer rides, I was...well..exhausted. So a "mere" 250 miles over 4 days actually had me feeling a bit tentative.
And yet...There's something about being with 150 other people, all raring to go, on the West Coast, with the sun shining and the temperature in the 70's. It turned out to be a good day of riding and I handled it with relative ease, including about 3000 feet of total ascent. Tomorrow's another day of course, but today was good.
This is a new CA route for Climate Ride, and they did a really nice job of laying it out, easing us out of SF, across the Golden State bridge, through Marin (where cops eagerly wait to ticket bikers who go through red lights), into Petaluma and then, finally, into a massive KOA campground (fortunately, we had a nice secluded corner).
I don't have a lot of insights to share from today's ride, and I'm about to be one of 25 people giving 3 minute "speed" presentations about their beneficiary organizations (I Challenge Myself, in my case), so I will leave you with today's route and few select photos.
Thanks, as always, for reading.





This is what a Climate Ride break looks like.

At the Lagunitas Brewery, 2 miles before camp.




No comments:

Post a Comment